Thursday 26 April 2012

Edward will have his chance

Just a few words from me on this early morning.

 I just can’t believe how much attention Edward’s illness has attracted. I just saw somebody refer to it as a social media soap opera. It really makes you reflect on the power of Facebook.


 I want to thank all of you again for all your kindness. So many have written me lovely personal messages. However, there have also been plenty of concerned people urging me to be sensible and let Edward be released from his trials. I have answered some, but I can’t keep up.

So just let me say that nothing could be further from the truth than that I ignore his agony and keep him alive for my own sake. I have discussed this with my husband and we have decided that we will let him go when we must. Yesterday I actually called the vet to have it done but he advised against it, saying that we should try further treatment because there is still a chance of recovery.

Still, I didn’t sleep one minute tonight. I was next to Edward watching over him, ready to do whatever needed doing. Now, he will spend the day at the clinic while I will try and get some sleep.

There are two vets treating Edward and his breeder/vet has also been involved all along, so we have both second and third opinions and we choose to trust them. They are the ones with the education and experience, so the moment they say it is time to give up will be the moment when we say goodbye.

Not before.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, mum. We are so happy to know that the vets agreed Edward still have a chance, and of course he will fight. Hope he gets some progress every day. I check on your FB page and here so often... big hugs.

CoCo, Tallulah and their mommy Jill

Lauren in NC USA said...

Such a hard situation.Our hearts,thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you in these trying times. I know exactly how you feel having nursed two dogs who I sadly lost to cancer. You will know in your heart when that time has arrived.

Anonymous said...

Hey do not listen to anyone other than your vet, your breeder, and, most importantly Edward and your heart. Edward is YOUR dog, YOU will know in your heart of hearts if and when the right time comes to let him go. If most people would have 'given up' by now then that is their choice. You are choosing to give him a chance, good on you. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayer. Sending you big hugs Linda and the Mini Poodles xx

Marla said...

I agree with Linda! Your sweet boy deserves every chance and it sounds to me like he wants those chances! We are praying for our friend Eddie! Get well, Eddie!!! Love, Olivia, Annabelle and their mommie Marla.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you and Edward. You both know what is best. Thinking and praying for you

Adrienne said...

All I can say is we are rooting for Eddie to get well. You will know when it is time to let Eddie go. He sounds like he has the spirit to live still. Love, kisses and hugs from Adrienne, Roger and Lichen

Anonymous said...

It is yourdecision sometimes we have to fight for them trust your vet and I know in my past times the dog told me. Prayers are with you and with Eddie Hoping for good newa soon sydney

BKayP said...

Dear Mum, I think Eddie's story represents all of our poodles. We love them and work to keep them safe and happy. When they become ill we do what ever it takes to get them well again. Don't give up, be strong, let the vets knowledge guide you.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel... Edward deserves every chance to get well.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe some people. If anyone has been following Edward they know that he has such a wonderful mum and dad. You guys are making the best decisions for him. You are some of the best poodle parents. Love and poodle hugs to your family.

Anonymous said...

My heart is breaking for you and your husband. I am so sorry that some people feel they need to tell you what is best and what you must do...when to the rest of us it is clear that you are doing everything possible. One cannot read the blogs that you have put out and NOT know how much you love Eddie! Thank you for all of the updates! I will continue to pray for Eddie, you and your husband. Hugs to you from Illinois!

Sherri said...

The most difficult thing is not knowing what is afflicting your dog. How do you give up when you do not know what you are up against. I went through it with my JRT years ago and we almost gave up but didn't. You and the vets are the only ones who know what is going on. No one else has the right to make any judgements as they are not walking in your shoes.

Anonymous said...

Bella our Spoo and I pray for Edward. I know how hard a decision it is to make on the health of your spoo. We had to make that decision 15 months ago for one of our dogs. We pray he makes a full recovery. God loves his animals as much as us humans! (((hugs)))

Unknown said...

Our hearts go out to you. We are Believers and we are praying that God will grant you strength, wisdom. peace and recovery for Edward.
Charlotte, Bruce, and Jolie Amie